Beetroot is an amazing superfood, they are high in folic acid and manganese. So we love using Zingology powder to make these Super Pink Beetroot Pancakes.
Traditionally, people use beetroot juice to heal: anemia, liver, skin, kidneys, lymphatic circulation, tiredness, eye, liver, skin problems, detoxification, cancer. Beetroot juice is a strong antioxidant and has anti inflammatory properties. As well as the amazing health benefits it makes a great natural food colouring and flavouring and has a naturally sweet taste. This pancake recipe is simple to make, tastes great and the family will be getting the benefits of raw beetroot. We use a level teaspoon for colour which is the equivalent of the juice of 1 beetroot but you can add more if you want really pink pancakes with more health benefits.
Makes: about 12, enough for 4 people
Preparation time: 10 minutes:
Cooking time: 5 minutes
150g plain flour
1 teaspoon of Zingology beetroot powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
a pinch of sea salt
200ml natural yoghurt
3 free-range eggs
75g melted butter
For the topping
Local honey or maple syrup
Optional added berries
1. Combine the dry ingredients and set aside
2. Combine the yoghurt and milk and set aside
3. Separate the eggs, adding the yolks to the yoghurt-milk mixture and stir to combine. Set the egg whites aside in a large clean bowl.
4. In a steady stream, add the yoghurt mixture to the flour and whisk until smooth. Whisk in the melted butter.
5. Whisk the egg whites to stiff but not dry peaks and fold them into the batter.
6. Pour a pancake-sized amount on to a hot griddle and cook for a couple of minutes on either side.
7. Stack them up and serve with honey and berries or a sprinkling of Zingology berry powders.
You can substitute buckwheat flour for the plain flour if you want your pancakes to be gluten free.Recipe adapted from Leon Baking & Puddings (Book 3) By Claire Ptak and Henry Dimbleby. We love the Leon books and many of their recipes can be adapted to use Zingology Powders. BUY BEETROOT POWDER